Hypertufa Design with Colleen Dieter
- Wear Gloves. Cement is caustic.
- Mix equal parts perlite, peat moss and Portland cement in large container or wheelbarrow.
- Slowly begin to add water and mix until mixture is the consistency of cottage cheese.
- Coat containers with cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into the outer mold until it is an inch or more thick. At this point you can
push a cork or dowel into the bottom of the mixture to create drainage holes if you are
creating a planter.
- Put a smaller bowl on the inside of the big bowl. Fill the inner mold with sand or water to steady it. Pack mixture in tightly. Cover the containers with plastic.
- After 24 hours remove the inner mold. Use a rubber mallet if needed to knock the
container loose from the mold. Replace plastic.
- After 36 hours remove outer mold.
- After removing molds, you can drill holes using a masonry bit in the bottom of the
container for drainage if needed. Use a planer file or sand paper to smooth out any rough
- Re-cover containers with plastic and let sit for several weeks in order to finish curing.