Artichoke and Lemon Pesto
- 1 cup lemon basil leaves, stems removed*
- 1/2 cup fresh curled parsley leaves, stems removed
- Zest of one lemon, preferably organically grown
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cans artichoke hearts in spring water, well drained
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt, pepper to taste
Squeeze the excess water from the artichokes and set aside.
Add the herbs to a food processor bowl and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the lemon juice and zest and process. Slowly drizzle in olive oil until well blended.
Add the artichoke and cheese and process briefly until well blended. Artichokes should still be a little chunky. Add seasoning to taste.
Serve with crackers or toasted bread or add to cooked pasta. Delicious served with baked fish also.
*I recommend Mrs. Burns’ lemon basil. It is a large leaved variety that gets two feet tall and is slower about going to seed than other varieties of lemon basil.