- 1 large or 2 small eggplant, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped and drained (canned Roma tomatoes
- may be used)
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ½ cup nonfat yogurt
- 12 to 15 large basil leaves
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray and place eggplant
slices on it in a single layer. Broil until golden, turn and broil other
side. Set aside.
Combine ricotta, egg whites, garlic, cayenne, ¼
cup of the Parmesan cheese and yogurt.
Spray an 8 by 8 inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
Place a single layer of eggplant in the bottom. Cover the eggplant with
whole basil leaves. Spoon half the cheese mixture over the basil leaves.
Make a second layer of eggplant, then basil and finish with the cheese
mixture. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30
to 40 minutes until browned and bubbling. Serve hot.
Article Type: Tip