Spinach and Swiss Chard Quiche
- 1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- ? pound spinach, rinsed and chopped
- ? pound Swiss chard, stemmed, rinsed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- ? teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup evaporated milk (skim milk for a lower fat version)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated Swiss, mozzarella or Monterrey Jack cheese (or a combination)
- ? cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrease. Prebake pie shell for ten minutes until lightly browned. (Use beans or pie weights to keep the bottom of the shell flat.)
Saut? the onion in olive oil until transparent. Add greens and saut?, stirring frequently until limp. Add garlic and seasonings and remove from heat.
Combine remaining ingredients until well mixed. Add greens and pour into prepared shell. Cook in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until puffy and lightly browned.
Makes eight servings.
Article Type: Tip