Watermelon Margarita with Basil
by Trisha Shirey
I like to use cinnamon or ‘Mexican Spice’ basil for this drink but lemon, lime or even Genovese or pistou basil will make a wonderful drink.
- 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh basil, plus additional basil for garnish
- 2 cups of seedless watermelon, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup ice (more for thicker drinks)
- Juice of one lime, plus extra for garnish
- 1 ounce triple sec or other orange flavored liqueur
- 2 ounces silver tequila
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into 2 large margarita glasses and garnish with a fresh sprig of basil and a squeeze of lime juice.
I often buy large watermelons and cut them up into cubes, removing all seeds. I place the cubes on a parchment covered baking sheet and freeze them for about an hour. The individual watermelon pieces go into freezer containers large enough to make one batch of drinks. When using frozen melon, omit the ice.
You could substitute fresh or frozen strawberries or cantaloupe for variations.